What is a carbon laser peel/facial?
The laser carbon peel is a relatively fast and painless procedure done to help improve the look of skin.
It is used primarily by people with oily skin, acne, and enlarged or clogged pores. This treatment is also beneficial if you are starting to see the effects of sun damage to your skin.
What are the benefits of a laser carbon peel?
Laser carbon peels deeply exfoliate skin. They also help stimulate collagen production.
Laser carbon peels are used to treat:
- acne pigmentation
- acne scarring
- enlarged and clogged pores
- fine lines and wrinkles
Chemical also treat these skin conditions, but here are some of the main differences between the two:
- laser carbon peels use heat instead of chemicals for results
- laser carbon peels require no down time
- people with sensitive skin or skin conditions like eczema will usually experience less redness and irritation after a carbon peel than from a chemical peel
PRICING, AFTERCARE, POSSIBILITIES, AND LIMITATIONS
We charge R1250 per treatment. You should see an immediate difference in your skin.
If you have pigmentation and acne, its best to have the treatment every 2 to 3 weeks.
For less severe skin conditions, every 4 weeks is ideal.
It is also ideal to have the carbon laser facial about a week before an event for that flawless look.
Here’s what you can expect from a typical laser carbon peel:
- We will spread a layer of liquid carbon onto your face. The carbon absorbs oil, dirt, and dead skin cells from deep within the pores.
- You will wait for about 10 minutes for the liquid carbon to dry.
- After the carbon has dried, eye shields are used to protect your eyes from the laser.
- We will pass a laser over the skin on a low-energy setting. This heats up the carbon, binding it to the epidermis.
- If you have overly sensitive skin or dark patches like melasma, your aesthetician may recommend skipping the heating step. The laser also heats up subdermal tissue, boosting collagen and plumping up fine lines.
- On a higher-energy setting, the laser will be used to fragment the liquid carbon into tiny particles.
- We may also apply a hydrating moisturizer and sunscreen to your skin after treatment.
- Treat your skin gently after getting a laser carbon peel by continuing to moisturize daily.
- It is normal to see some flaking or experience dryness for a few days.
- Use sunscreen regularly with at least SPF 30+ for several days after treatment.
- Do not use any products containing retinol for at least five days after treatment.
- Do not exfoliate or use any abrasive or invasive skin treatments for at least one week.
- If you have oily skin, use products designed to combat acne to maintain optimum results.
- Use products containing collagen, collagen supplements, or follow a collagen-boosting diet if you have photoaged skin or fine lines.
- Avoid swimming for 2 to 3 days.
- As with all skin care guides, try not to sleep with makeup on as this will clog pores.
- Make sure your skin is clean and well moisturised.
- Always drink at least 8 glasses of water to keep your skin supple.
Laser carbon peels are typically very effective for improving the look of oily skin and large pores. If you have severe acne or acne scarring, it may take several treatments before you see full results. Fine lines and wrinkles should also be visibly diminished after one or more treatments.
In one case study, a young woman with severe pustular, cystic acne received six peel treatments two weeks apart. Significant improvements were seen by the fourth treatment. After the sixth treatment, her acne was reduced by 90 percent. These long-lasting results were still apparent at a follow-up visit two months later.
Like chemical peels, laser carbon peels won’t provide permanent results. You may need ongoing treatments in order to sustain the benefits of each. Carbon peels may be repeated every two to three weeks. This time allows for ample collagen regeneration between treatments.
Everyone’s skin is different. Talk to our aesthetician about how many treatments you should anticipate needing before you start to reap full benefits.
Apart from a slight reddening of the skin and a tingling sensation, there should be no side effects after a laser carbon peel.
Laser carbon peels are painless and require no recovery time. Other than mild and temporary redness, there are no reported side effects.