Laser Tattoo Removal
Tattoos have become a very popular way of permanently modifying our appearance however as time passes, we can come to regret the decision. What seemed like a good idea at the time can cause problems in later life.
An unwanted tattoo can cause psychological distress and create difficulty in social and work environments.
The good news is that laser removal techniques can eliminate your tattoos with minimal side effects, so you won’t have to live with it for the rest of your life.
Lasers remove tattoos by breaking up the pigment colours of the tattoo with a high-intensity light beam. The body then absorbs and eliminates the shattered molecules.
How it works
Laser tattoo removal is a clinically-proven method of removing a tattoo without causing scarring. The Nd:YAG Q-switch laser, has been designed to create ultra-short pulses of light energy that shatter ink in a tattoo.
Tattoo ink (particularly the older inks) can be difficult to shatter and remove, and Nd:YAG Q-switch lasers are able to produce sufficient fluency (energy or power) to remove dark and bright tattoos without unattractive side effects like scarring. Q-switched laser pulses last mere nanoseconds (billionths of a second), providing high levels of fluency for quality ink shattering.
- During a tattoo removal procedure, laser light is applied to the tattooed area of the skin. The light is selectively absorbed by the tattoo ink particles, leaving the surrounding skin tissue and unharmed.
- The tattoo ink particles absorb the laser energy, heat up, and shatter into smaller ink particles.
- In the days and weeks following a laser treatment, the body’s immune system flushes away the shattered ink particles, causing the tattoo to fade. Over a series of treatments, more and more of the ink shatters, leaving the skin free of ink.
The Q Switch laser is safe to treat on all skin types, so everybody can benefit from Laser Tattoo Removal.
This technology can be used on light and dark skin types. A brief consultation with one of our highly-trained Nd:YAG Q Switch specialists should provide all the information needed. Depending on the tattoo, 6 to 10 sessions are required. Sessions are usually spaced 6 weeks apart. The number of sessions is usually discussed and explained to you on your first consultation.
Prior to session avoid sun exposure for 2-3 weeks and after the session also 2-3 weeks should be avoided on the treated area.
- Scabbing will occur in the treated area of the tattoo; this is a normal occurrence.
- An ice pack will be used throughout the procedure to reduce swelling/redness and/or pain.
- You should feel a slight snap on the treated area during the procedure. Once the procedure is completed, the numbed area will have a slight soreness. This is normal for up to 2 – 3 hours, depending on the area the treatment was applied.
- It is important to remove the covered area within 5-6 hours of the treatment and apply aloe vera to the area for the next 24 hours. Do not cover the treated area after removing our gauze.
- The area can be washed gently with luke-warm. No hot water, abrasive washcloths, or soaps as well as perfumed products should be used within the first 72 hours of treatment.
- After 24 hours, please apply a generous amount of Betadine to the treated area, this will allow for the area to dry out, scab and heal.
- It is important not to pick at the scabs or scratch the treated area. Please allow the scab to fall out naturally. This time may vary depending on different skin and body functions (how easily your body heals).
- This process normally takes up to 7 to 10 days. It is important to moisturise your skin properly until your next treatment.
- The treatment can then be performed again 6 weeks later. Please note that it can take 6-10 sessions per treatment area to fully remove the tattoo and any residual ink.
- Sky Skin and Laser Clinic do not take any responsibility if the guidelines of aftercare are not adhered to. The onus is on our client to take special care in making sure that the area can heal with minimal interference.
- Sky Skin and Laser Clinic will ensure that we treat the area to the best of our ability to remove the unwanted tattoo. We do not take any responsibility for any ink that cannot be removed or tattoos that were deeper than normal, which may have had underlining scaring at the time of receiving the tattoo.
- Please note that results may vary from person to person.
- Our clients will be asked to sign a disclaimer for tattoo removal prior to the procedure.